Casey Bralla on 16 Feb 2009 14:34:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] word docs with open office and web sites (slightly OT)

On Monday 16 February 2009 3:16:07 pm edmond rodriguez wrote:
> Has anyone besides me noticed that when saving a Word document from Open
> Office (.doc file), some web sites that upload .doc's (like job search web
> sites) don't like them?  Sometimes I figure this out by trial and error,
> since the error messages don't explain what is wrong.
>
> I am running into that from time to time, though MS Word opens a .doc file
> from Open Office just fine.

I haven't seent his exact error, but I have found times where other weird
errors occur in OO files saved in MS office formats.   I presume it is
because the formats are not EXACTLY the same, even though MS Office has
always been able to open it.

Since I have a copy of MS Office too on my Kids' computer, I occasionally have
to open an offending file in MS Office, make a trivial change, then save it
again in the "native" MS Office format.

--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence