zuzu on 16 Feb 2009 18:22:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] "zsh: My Shell Can Beat Up Your Shell"

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Elizabeth Krumbach
<lyz@princessleia.com> wrote:

> This month, we welcome Paul Snyder, who will be doing his
> "zsh: My Shell Can Beat Up Your Shell" talk, which gives an
> overview of zsh and compares it to various other shells.
>
>        http://www.zsh.org/

anyone on the list using fish?

http://www.fishshell.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_interactive_shell

The friendly interactive shell

fish is a Unix shell. Its name is an acronym for friendly interactive
shell. fish focuses on interactive use, discoverability, and user
friendliness. The design goal of fish is to give the user a rich set
of powerful features in a way that is easy to discover, remember, and
use.

Released in 2005 under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
fish is free software.

Highlights

fish features a user-friendly and powerful tab completion, including
descriptions of every completion, tab-completion of strings with
wildcards, and many command specific completions. It also features an
extensive and discoverable help system. A special help command gives
access to all the fish documentation in the user's web browser.

Helpful error messages

Error messages in fish are designed to actually tell the user what
went wrong and what can be done about it.

Other features

Advanced tab completion.
Syntax highlighting with extensive error checking.
Support for the X clipboard.
Smart terminal handling based on terminfo.
Searchable command history.