Robert Spangler on 17 Feb 2009 04:58:07 -0800

Re: [PLUG] time is off (exactly 5 hours)

On Monday 16 February 2009 14:43, Ron Kaye wrote:

>  have a linux issue.
>  RHEL 5 server (ESX host vm)-  time is set correctly in bios, ntp.conf is
>  configured with our windows time servers (correct time), ntpd is running.
>  my time is 5 hours off. (shows 9am, not 2pm)
>  #date           shows 9am when it is 2pm
>  #hwclock    shows 9am when it is 2pm

I have my BIOS set for EST here are my outputs:

etc $ /bin/date
Tue Feb 17 07:49:35 EST 2009

etc $ /sbin/hwclock
Tue 17 Feb 2009 08:49:39 AM EST  -0.105039 seconds

You need to edit /etc/timezone file for timezone.
Mine looks like this:

etc $ cat timezone
America/New_York

>  build cd came from UK
>  wondering if GMT is somewhere overriding my EST
>  open to advice

It really doesn't matter where the build CD comes from as long as you setup
you time correctly

I would set the system clock then use

setclock

to set the hwclock to the system clock.

Opinions are going to very on how the system and hw clocks are to be setup.
This setup works for me and I run CentOS here.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux User #296285