sean finney on 24 Feb 2009 22:57:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] errant drive and Spinrite

hi jeff,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 04:04:12PM -0500, jeff wrote:
> I'm here to tell you how right you were.  It actually failed during the
> backup.  Partitions still register but I can't mount them, where I used
> to be able to mount /HOME.  I hope I got most of it.

just an anecdotal piece of info, don't know if it'll be helpful:  if your
hard drive is on its last legs and you're trying to get those last few
bits off of it, you can try the following:

- if drive has been in active use, allow to cool to room temperature
- place drive in anti-static bag
- seal bag to be airtight or place in second, ziplock bag
- leave drive in freezer for ~24 hours
- remove drive from freezer/bags and try again

it sounds crazy, but i've done it myself and teh internets generally
agree (though the long-term affects on drive lifespan are probably not very
good, this is definitely a last-ditch thing).

	sean