Mark M. Hoffman on 26 Feb 2009 10:27:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] mini-HOWTO: mp3fs

Hi Art:

* Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> [2009-02-26 12:51:09 -0500]:
> Unless it somehow persists in memory after the first conversion, it seems it
> will have to transcode the flac files every time you access it for loading on a
> media player.

The mp3 does not persist in memory after the file is closed.

> I don't think it is meant for driving streaming audio, just the media player
> thing.
>
> Amarok has a transcode plugin that provides this function as well.  I have no
> idea which is more efficient.  I sometimes use the transcode script to load OGG
> files on a iPod as the iPod only plays MP3 or AAC (and some other Apple
> formats.)  The mp3fs doesn't seem to handle sources other than FLAC.  I assume
> it can be tweaked.

Actually, it cannot.  It looks like other formats are on the TODO list though.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman@lightlink.com