zuzu on 3 Mar 2009 11:41:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Wish list for PLUG talks --> OpenWRT Corrected

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
> Man I've got to proof read better; sorry.
>
> DD-WRT is free for Broadcom wireless chip sets only. You must pay an
> activation fee to use the firmware permanently on anything else even
> Atheros devices. DD-WRT does ***NOT*** follow typical FOSS ideology.
>
> In one hand you have Broadcom who have proprietary drivers and code
> and the folks at DD-WRT make that firmware available for free. On the
> other hand you have Atheros who is working with the FOSS community
> building their stuff into the kernel and DD-WRT charges for that.
> DD-WRT in the future may include the Realtek wireless chip sets as
> part of the no charge version.

I thought that the only version of DD-WRT that requires a license is
for x86 platforms (where it competes with more firewall-oriented
products such as SonicWall, pfSense, m0n0wall, and Untangle).

So whether your router uses Broadcom, Atheros, Realtek, etc. is
irrelevant, beyond chipset support in software.

> My understanding about the way the folks at DD-WRT see it is that
> Broadcom gear is considered residential and therefore no charge, and
> anything else is considered PRO gear which they charge for. The problem
> is that they aren't charging for support they are charging for
> activation which is where it sticks in the crawl for most
> FOSS folks.
>
> There is quite a lot of bad blood and politics between the DD-WRT,
> Sveasoft, and the true ideological FOSS groups. I personally will use
> whatever works best for customers or myself in a given situation. It's
> like a $25 activation fee if I wanted to use it with say my UBNT
> Router Station.

Ah, yeah, the Ubiquiti products... that does seem to be more like a
special case invoking the "commercial" vs "residential" dichotomy.
Yet, there DD-WRT includes a free (I think) build for MadWifi
(Atheros) for "residential" routers such as the Asus WL-500g Premium
that has a mini-PCI slot and can use Atheros cards (such as the
Ubiquiti SR and XR series).