zuzu on 3 Mar 2009 11:45:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firefox crashes with lots of tabs open

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeepers.  Have you tried running free -m when you're at this state?  You
> must be using at least a bit of swap...
> Sounds like an out-of-memory sort of issue to me.  My advice?  Don't open so
> many tabs, especially with that many extensions installed.

That is not acceptable.  I regularly have 300-500 tabs open, and
expect the software to be written in such a way that it does not
crash.

(If it's an out of memory issue, then Firefox should be self-aware
enough to throw an error that it can't create new tabs until more
memory is available.)

A parallel feature that would also provide consolation is if Firefox
provided a genuine save state feature (ala save-to-disk hibernation
imaging), rather than simply caching the URLs of open tabs and
reloading them on the next startup.

c.f. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_(computer_science)