Doug Stewart on 2 Mar 2009 08:46:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firefox crashes with lots of tabs open

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Gordon Dexter <gordon@texasdex.com> wrote:
I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 (avoiding KDE4 for now).  I find when I have a lot of tabs open in Firefox it's very likely to crash.  The backtrace below was from a session that had 3 windows and 60 tabs open.  Couldn't figure out what the cause was, so I started it from a terminal to catch the debugging info.

[snip]

Any ideas on what might be causing this?  Should I try creating a new FF profile?  Should I submit a bug yet?  I've tried googling this but can't find anything that seems relevant.

I'm using these extensions:
Ad-block Plus
All-in-one Gestures
Cookie button
DowhThemAll
Firebug
FlashBlock
Forecastbar Enhanced
Gui:config
keyconfig (because I always hit Ctrl+Q when I mean to hit Ctrl+W)
Nuke Anything Enhanced
Tab Mix Plus

Theme: Classic Compact

Jeepers.  Have you tried running free -m when you're at this state?  You must be using at least a bit of swap...

Sounds like an out-of-memory sort of issue to me.  My advice?  Don't open so many tabs, especially with that many extensions installed.

Also, make sure that you have Firebug enabled only for sites that you care about -- if you have it enabled for all sites, it chews up page load times and system memory like nobody's business.

--
-Doug