Jonathan E. Magen on 2 Mar 2009 12:09:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firefox crashes with lots of tabs open

I have had trouble with FF running up CPU as well. I find that it gets
worse the *longer* I have specific tabs open. That is, if I leave a
certain tab open for a while, it makes trouble, especially between
sessions. It doesn't matter if the page has a long history or no
history, it seems to be the lifetime of a tab.

The other issue is that FF won't exit properly. That is to say that
the process still hangs around running up the CPU after I've told it
to close. Eventually I have to politely nudge it with kill but when I
restart, it doesn't register that it was shutdown incorrectly. This
leads me to believe that it does all of the requires shutdown
housekeeping but something is wrong in the core that keeps it going.

Any ideas? Has anyone had success locating a bug report for symptoms
discussed in this thread? I tried bugzilla.mozilla.org and it didn't
have much luck at all.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 02 March 2009 11:00:17 Gordon Dexter wrote:
>> I'm running Kubuntu 8.04 (avoiding KDE4 for now).  I find when I have a lot
>> of tabs open in Firefox it's very likely to crash.
>
> I started having the same, and more severe issues with FF since the release of
> 3.0.6.  The problem, according to htop, seems more to do with CPU usage than
> memory leaks, though it seems to get worse the longer firefox is running.
> Also, it seems to have more to do with how long it runs and is only
> accelerated when more tabs are open.
>
> Kubuntu 8.04
> Firefox 3.0.6
> 3.2 GB RAM
> AMD 64x2 processor running at 2600.086 MHz
>
> When FF froze last time, memory usage was at about 19.5%, CPU usage was at
> 97%.
>
> I did not have this problem with previous iterations of FF 3.

Jonathan E. Magen
267-242-6288
http://www.yonkeltron.com
AIM: SuspectAshkenaz