Art Alexion on 2 Mar 2009 11:38:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firefox crashes with lots of tabs open

On Monday 02 March 2009 13:25:27 Gordon Dexter wrote:
>  Do you think it has something to do with the Flash plugin?  I've noticed
> occasionally a website with lots of flash videos will peg CPU usage until
> that tab is closed, even if I'm not actually playing any of the videos.
> Also (just curious) are you running 64-bit, and if so does the flash plugin
> have any problems with 64-bit?

Could very well be, though I rarely have flash running on more than one tab.
I use flashblock and only run animations I want to see (like the main video
on a youtube page, but not the others on that page).  It may be possible that
a single video may crash it though.

As to 64 bit, yes and no.  I have one machine running 64 bit and don't recall
whether flash is working on that machine.  I know I had trouble getting java
working and don't know if I succeeded.

(I installed FF from Mozilla.com instead of the repos, because I didn't know
about the --no-depends flag of aptitude and didn't want to install gnome just
to run Firefox. After removing and reinstalling, I don't recall what is
working.  I usually use that machine just to test the progress of KDE 4 and
read email.  Use mostly Konqueror on that machine.  Flash does not work under
konqueror (from the official repo)).  That said, I think even without flash,
firefox can slow to a standstill on that machine.