John Sladek on 8 Mar 2009 15:09:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FiOS?

I think what you saw what what they call a JIONT (Just Inside ONT). It
is pretty much the same just in a different form factor. Tellabs and
Alcatel make them and I suspect that there is a motorola version also.
This type of ONT can only go inside because it is not water proof.  The
main purpose of this type of ont is to speed up the installation.

As far as doing both Ethernet and MoCA there seems to be a lot of
confusion with this so I'll try to clear it up with a story.

In the beginning, the ONT only used the Ethernet port for the WAN. The
ONT did not even have the capability built into it to use Moca. In my
area we were using 4 port Dlink routers that also did not have Moca
capabilities.  The cable boxes that are IP based and have all the nifty
features use Moca to obtain IP info and transfer data. Since these
addresses are LAN addressed we will call this the Coaxial LAN. To make
the change from coax to ethernet we used a device called a Moca NIM.

Here is a link I just found that shows how it would be configured.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/760/nim100dk7.jpg

The nim was typically placed right next to the router and the technician
would have to run both a cat5e cable and a coax cable to the router
area.  Eventually they switched to the actiontec routers that have moca
built into them and therefore eliminated the need to install 2 devices
(router and nim).  The technician still had to run cat5e & coax to the
router on an installation.  Since many people are changing from cable
they already have coax going to where their computer is located.  This
means the technicians needed to run a cat5e cable to the router for
internet connection and they could just use the coax that was already in
place.  Eventually a big light bulb went off in someones head, "Why
can't we use the Moca standard between the router and the ONT for the
WAN too? This way the technicians would not have to spend time running
the CAT5e cable." The answer was we could if the ONTs had the capability
to run Moca.  So the next version of ONT was built with the capability
to use Moca (Moca WAN) or Ethernet but not both at the same time. The
technician makes the call depending on what will work best for the
installation.  For the most part Moca WAN is the simplest for the
technician.  If the customer already has cable the verizon tech just has
to swap out their modem with our router. This becomes a problem when the
customer does not want to use the actiontec router as their edge device.
This is because the tech would have to run a CAT5e again and there would
have to be some nonstandard configurations that the technicians are not
really there to do.  The installation can still be done using Cat5e for
the WAN and running a coax to the router to allow the cable converts
access to the LAN. Once the technician is done you could release the WAN
IP (sometimes you have to have the FSC break the lease) from the router
and then replace the router with your own. You would then plug the
Actiontec WAN into your LAN and give it an IP either DHCP or static
(just not a 192.168.1.x address) and then let the action tech hand out
addresses to the settop boxes.

In no way am I suggesting that everybody that Gets a FiOS installation
to tell the technician that you HAVE to have Ethernet for the WAN. The
Moca WAN is fine for most installs and there may be a bill to run the
cat5e if there is existing Coax located close to where the router is
going to be.

Hope that makes sense...

-John