jazzman on 9 Mar 2009 10:09:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Slow samba on Ubuntu 8.10?

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Isaac Bennetch wrote:

> I had similar (but not identical) trouble related somehow to the way
> the names were resolved (something with nmdb, perhaps). It's been a
> while so the details are hazy at the moment, but a quick fix was to
> resolve by IP instead of hostname (like \\192.168.1.5\foo\). Does that
> make any difference in your situation?

It does seem to reduce the wait to just a few seconds. I will try it more
when I get home (I remoted into one of my home PCs to try it) but that
does help a little.

Is it possible that it's a little faster this morning now that the server
has been running and had a chance to "announce" itself more? I'm not
overly savvy on the inner workings of Samba.