Michael Leone on 9 Mar 2009 09:57:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Slow samba on Ubuntu 8.10?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:23 PM,  <jazzman@exdomain.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Michael Leone wrote:
>
>> I see the same on Ubuntu 8.04 as a server.
>
>> I see the same slow browsing, altho it's not 20 seconds. Closer to
>> like 3 to 5 seconds, and faster, on a 100M wired network. Haven't
>> found a solution.
>
> *Loud cursing* So basically if I want to run a recent version of Ubuntu I
> have to just suck it up and deal with it, huh? *bangs head on desk*

Don't know. I have my Ubuntu server as a member of my Win2003 AD home
domain, so browsing should be controlled by Windows (which is usually
the cause of slow browsing, on Windows). For me, it was mostly an
exercise, done for the classic Linux reason - Because I Could, not
because I needed to. For me, I attached a NTFS formatted external
drive (that had been on my AD controller), loaded up NTFS-3G, shared
it out via SAMBA, and run SnycToy (Windows version of rsync) to backup
photos from another Windows workstation to that share via UNC.

Works fine. I schedule it to happen while I'm at work, and now I can
pretty much forget about it.
--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

James Brown  - "I'm kidding about having only a few dollars. I might
have a few dollars more."