Isaac Bennetch on 9 Mar 2009 09:56:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Slow samba on Ubuntu 8.10?

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:51 AM,  <jazzman@exdomain.org> wrote:
> the most annoying issue I have is that connecting to samba shares is SLOW
> (as much as 20+ seconds on a gigabit network). Once I'm connected to the
> share things are ok, but that initial open takes a long time.

> On XP I go to Start->Run and type "\\vault\marc" to access my home
> directory share and then I count to 20 or so until the window pops us. It

I had similar (but not identical) trouble related somehow to the way
the names were resolved (something with nmdb, perhaps). It's been a
while so the details are hazy at the moment, but a quick fix was to
resolve by IP instead of hostname (like \\192.168.1.5\foo\). Does that
make any difference in your situation?

~isaac