Lee Marzke on 24 Mar 2009 19:03:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux Home VPN How To

I've found some hotspots , libraries, and others are blocking port 1194 outbound. Really the seem to be blocking everything except http, https, pop3, dns , etc.

However, if all you want to do is hide your browsing, it;s much simplier to just do:

1. Setup a ssh server on the internet . Better yet - setup your sshd on port 443 in case the
  hotspot blocks ssh.    port 443 is never blocked.

2. From hotspot open ssh  with a socks tunnel.

   ssh -D localhost:8080 -p 443   -l user  yoursshhost.com           (
   -p 443 optional if your server is on 443 )
   (You can do the same with Putty from Windows )

3. In Firefox,  set the Network config,  Proxy settings to
Socks server localhost port 8080, make sure other http proxies are blank.

Note this only forwards tcp requests from a socks compatable client like Firefox.

Regards,

Lee Marzke

Brian Vagnoni wrote:
A friend is looking for peer review on his VPN How To. I assured
him he would get an excellent critique; please don't disappoint.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~beakmyn/vpn%20howto/Complete%20Home%20VPN%20Howto%20Guide.html

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 800-393-5217  office         +1 484-348-2230               fax
+1 610-564-4932  cell           sip://8003935217@4aero.com    VOIP

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke
n:Marzke;Lee