Joe Terranova on 31 Mar 2009 15:08:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Memory Questions - Advice Needed

> My AMD system will be able to handle DDR2-1066 "Dual Channel" memory.
> Scanning New Egg, I see that DDR2-1066 often come in pairs, or as single
> SIMMs.  From a performance standpoint, is there a difference worth arguing
> over separate of single SIMMs?

Dual Channel memory is supposed to be installed as identical pairs of
sticks. See this (possibly biased) FAQ entry:
http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4079

I can tell you from personal experience that when my coworkers who
have DDR2 Dual channel motherboards set up the pairings wrong (ex
pairs are 512/256 and 512/256 instead of 512/512 and 256/256, because
they swapped sticks by accident), their bios beeps like crazy on
startup. If you don't care about performance, you might want to see if
your motherboard will respond that way, and if there's a way to turn
that warning off.