TuskenTower on 8 Apr 2009 13:30:38 -0700

[PLUG] GPG + Debian 5 exceeding entropy while generating keys

When I tried creating a GPG key (mostly default options) I got this mesage while waiting for the key to be generated.
Not enough random bytes available.  Please do some other work to give
the OS a chance to collect more entropy! (Need 280 more bytes)

The server is a Debian 5 (lenny) OS on an HP ProLiant ML115 G1 with Opterons.  Is this a common issue and would installing an entropy daemon like EGD help?

>  cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize
4096
The entropy poolsize is 4096, but the available entropy fluctuates and seems to top out at the number below.  Is it possible that the GPG key generation is outstripping the maximum entropy setting?
> cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
3585

What's weird is that my less powerful Ubuntu desktop does not report this message.  Or is that a function of more things occuring on my desktop which in turn increases entropy?

thanks,
Amul