Lee Marzke on 4 May 2009 07:36:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VIrtual Servers on Single IP

Here is the link about setting up the ReverseProxy

http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

Lee

Malcolm J Harwood wrote:
On Sunday 03 May 2009, Casey Bralla wrote:
I have a single static IP which I use for multiple web pages on multiple
domains.   Apache makes this process very simple and painless; all web
traffic hits Apache, which then decides which web domain was really wanted.

However, I'd like to allow each web customer be able to run their own
virtual machine on my server, and am wondering how I can split the traffic
to separate web pages (with the same public IP) to the separate virtual
machines on the same physical server.

Anybody have any ideas or know of a good How-To for this?

Set up a reverse proxy on your common IP that redirects to the internal IPs of the virtual machines? This is a common load balancing technique, usually for when you have a heavy duty backend process and don't want to tie up processes/threads for sending out the data once it's produced. (Standard procedure with mod_perl and java/tomcat backends).

Apache even has a module for it (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_proxy.html), and a quick google search turns up a good number of howtos.

"Between subtle shading and the absence of light lies the nuance of iqlusion..."  - Kryptos

Lee Marzke,  lee@marzke.net   http://marzke.net/lee/
IT Consultant, VMware, VCenter, SAN storage, infrastructure, SW CM
+1 800-393-5217  office         +1 484-348-2230               fax
+1 610-564-4932  cell           sip://8003935217@4aero.com    VOIP

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke
n:Marzke;Lee