Malcolm J Harwood on 3 May 2009 13:48:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VIrtual Servers on Single IP

On Sunday 03 May 2009, Casey Bralla wrote:
> I have a single static IP which I use for multiple web pages on multiple
> domains.   Apache makes this process very simple and painless; all web
> traffic hits Apache, which then decides which web domain was really wanted.
>
> However, I'd like to allow each web customer be able to run their own
> virtual machine on my server, and am wondering how I can split the traffic
> to separate web pages (with the same public IP) to the separate virtual
> machines on the same physical server.
>
> Anybody have any ideas or know of a good How-To for this?

Set up a reverse proxy on your common IP that redirects to the internal IPs of
the virtual machines? This is a common load balancing technique, usually for
when you have a heavy duty backend process and don't want to tie up
processes/threads for sending out the data once it's produced. (Standard
procedure with mod_perl and java/tomcat backends).

Apache even has a module for it
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_proxy.html), and a quick google
search turns up a good number of howtos.