JP Vossen on 6 May 2009 11:38:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] find the user with the most files

 > Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 08:24:12 -0400
 > From: Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com>
 >
 > Grep is available for the Win platform; no need to mount any shares,
 > just to grep a list of filenames. The other tools, not so much,
 > perhaps.

Not just grep, all the Unix "text" utils, plus some extras.  I've
mentioned these tools before in more detail [1,2] (with [2] ironically
in another reply to one of Mike's posts :), but it's worth it to do again.

http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
Stand-alone, Windows native .exe files. These are *great*! No installer,
no DLLs, nothing but sort,cut,grep,awk,sed,date.exe, and much more.
You'll want to rename date.exe to udate or gdate or something so you
don't collide with the built-in date command. See also gclip/pclip which
allow reading and writing the clipboard from the command line. The only
downside is that these have not been updated in a long time. They
usually Just Work, though I have encountered a few bugs in date.exe,
which I use quite a lot.

For a lot more tools and details, see [1].

Later,
JP

[1] Unix-like tools for Windows
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2007-09/msg00280.html