JP Vossen on 9 May 2009 10:39:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Is Any UPS Any Good?

> Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 20:06:38 -0400
> From: Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org>

[...]
> I have been underwhelmed by the reliability of the UPSs I have bought.  After
> investigation, I find the batteries themselves usually still have a charge, but
> the charging circuitry is fried.
>
> Most power outages last just a few seconds.  I don't care about monitors and
> such, so I have only the main CPU box plugged in to these puppies.   I had
> thought this meant that I could buy low cost, low capacity units.   Maybe I
> was wrong.
>
> Are any of them any good?

I won't say I know that much on the topic, but I've only had 1 APC UPS
crap out on me, and the equipment lived.

I am a big fan of refurbups.com, and have no relationship except as
happy customer.  You can get big units (with new batteries) for cheap,
which has worked well for me over the last 4-6 years.

I do keep an LCD monitor on the UPS, so I have something from which to
shut down if needed, and can also keep working for short outages.  One
of these days I really do need to implement the network monitoring via
NUT or whatever, that Lee mentioned.

Also, pick up a ~$25 Kill-A-Watt from Amazon.  Great little tool you can
plug stuff into and see all kinds of power stats.  I'll try to remember
to bring it to the next PLUG N & W meetings again.

Later,
JP