Eric on 13 May 2009 05:27:41 -0700

[PLUG] spurious packets?

I see the following line repeated in the /var/log/messages file of a Red Hat ES
3 server:

May 13 04:06:58 mainserver kernel: 10.20.0.31 sent an invalid ICMP type 3,
code 3 error to a broadcast: 10.20.0.255 on eth0

It appears to repeat quite periodically on about a 12 minute interval.
Here is a sample of the times from this morning:
0:05
0:17
0:29
0:41
0:53
1:05
1:17
1:29
1:41
2:05
2:17
2:29
2:41
2:54
3:06
3:18
3:30
3:42
3:54
4:02
4:06
4:18
4:30
4:42
4:54
5:06
5:18
5:30
5:42
5:54

The device at 10.20.0.31 is a Linksys WAP 11 (pretty old box actually).

Google has been of no help to me here - any idea what this is?

Thanks,
Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas