TuskenTower on 13 May 2009 10:36:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] UnxUtils vs. Cygwin

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 12:54 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 16:51:59 -0400
>> From: Fred Stluka <fred@bristle.com>
>> Subject: Re: [PLUG] find the user with the most files
>>
>> Any thoughts on how:
>>     http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
>> compares/contrasts with:
>>     http://cygwin.com
>
> UnxUtils are native Windows *.exe files that Just Work.  No DLLs, no
> install, no config, no nothing.  Download, extract and run.  They can
> also be used with "DOS Batch Files" (I do this *extensively*), and using
> just one tool as needed is as simple as copying the exe.
>
> Cygwin implements a Unix-layer (via DLLs) on  top of Windows.  It's
> basically the opposite of Wine.  (Humm, I wonder if Cygwin would run
> under Wine? :)  It has an extensive installer and requires non-trivial
> setup, per machine.  It's possible but tedious and non-trivial to get a
> single tool to run.  IIRC Cygwin tools can run in batch files, but they
> are more intended to run inside the Cygwin environment, which does
> include shell scripts (bash, possibly others).  That environment is
> unix-y on top of Windows.  So you get constructs like
> /drive_c/Windows/system32 though that's from memory and I might be off a
> bit.
>
> I think Cygwin is really cool, but I personally don't use it because I
> find it not-quite-DOS and not-quite-Unix, and that bugs me.  If the
> UnxUtils did not exist, I would use it (or next).  But for me the
> UnxUtils scratch the itch more simply.
>
> The one I didn't talk about in the recent message but did in the older
> ones are the GNU Windows ports.  IIRC they are slightly harder to
> install in that they might need a DLL or two.  But they are not as
> complex as Cygwin.  Refer to the URLS (to 2007/2008 posts) in my
> are supported, while UnxUtils basically isn't anymore AFAICT.

If you are stuck on Vista and higher versions of winDOwS, you should
look into the Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (aka SUA at
http://www.suacommunity.com/).
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=93FF2201-325E-487F-A398-EFDE5758C47F&displaylang=en

While it's free to download, you already paid for the OS.

HTH
Amul