JP Vossen on 21 May 2009 12:23:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fixing smartd "Offline uncorrectable sectors" *

> Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 04:53:31 -0400
> From: "David A. Harding" <dave@dtrt.org>
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 01:20:37AM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
>> 	# dd if=/dev/zero of=/boot/zero; rm -f /boot/zero
>
> That's really nifty, but doesn't badblocks do the same thing, with
> better reporting, and while non-destructively testing used space also?
>
> I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious why you chose dd over badblocks.

Two reasons.

1) I was not previously aware of 'badblocks'.  Thanks for the pointer.

2) Even if I was, the man page very strongly recommends running it on an
unmounted partition.  That would have been hard to do with the server in
the co-lo where I can't just boot a LiveCD or something.  I guess I
could have tried breaking the mirror and running on 1 half while
checking the other half, but I worry that I'd have ended up with a
non-booting machine.

I was able to use dd non-destructively while the partition was mounted
and the machine was running with minimal impact.  Since it worked,
great.  If it hadn't I'd have asked this list for ideas of what else to
try and found out about badblocks.  :-)

Later,
JP