JP Vossen on 28 May 2009 13:09:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] linux backups and bare metal restore

 > Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 06:30:30 -0400
 > From: Neill R <nrdevelopment@gmail.com>

 > We take a full OS level backup of our linux systems each night. I now
 > am tasked with doing a bare metal restore.
<snip>

I strongly recommend _Backup & Recovery_ (see my review:
http://pantug.org/joomla/index.php/book-reviews/37-general/51-oreilly-backup-a-recovery).

It's an excellent book and covers bare-metal restore of Linux using open
source tools.  I can't recall if it specifically talks about LVM issues,
and I know it doesn't cover commercial tools as that was to be the topic
of the next book (not yet published).

See also: http://www.backupcentral.com/, which does mention LVM though
most of the hits are related to snapshots:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=003637894450648806071%3Aeopuq7oc8ta&cof=FORID%3A1&q=LVM&sa=Search

Enterprise or not, LVM or not, this book is worth it if you have
anything to do with backups at all.  And I strongly suspect that in the
process of working through some of the material in the book, you'll
figure out your LVM problem, and/or come up with a suitable work-around.

Good luck,
JP