Art Alexion on 31 May 2009 13:38:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] avoiding grub problems

On Friday 29 May 2009 17:19:15 David A. Harding wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 03:01:04PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> > My home computer has 32-bit kubuntu 8.04 installed on a SATA drive.
> > [...] I want to install 64-bit Ubuntu Studio 9.04 [...]. How do I
> > [ensure] that [I can] boot either drive/distro?
>
> Installing Grub again during the normal course of the Ubuntu Studio
> installation will almost certainly work just fine.  If you choose this
> option, the Grub configuration files will be stored on Ubuntu Studio, so
> you cannot remove that distribution or its hard drive without also
> making Kubuntu unbootable.

OK, this is what I wasn't sure of.  I have added new distros to different
partitions of the same drive and grub found the existing stuff, but I wasn't
sure it would work that way if the new distro was going on a different
physical drive.

Thanks Dave.