Gordon Dexter on 8 Jun 2009 22:27:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [Slightly OT] UPS recommendations

If it's tripping the breaker, odds are good it's a laser printer.  That means a really big UPS.  Based on my own mental calculations, even the smallest of laser printers would probably need at least a 1500VA UPS or better, but most manufacturers expressly tell you not to do this, even with their more powerful models.

Personally, I'd suggest getting a heavy-duty extension cable that is long enough to plug either appliance into a different circuit.  That will run way less than your standard UPS, and work better anyways.  Breaking a circuit every time you want to print, and continuing to print by virtue of an UPS, is just a bad solution.

--Gordon

Eric wrote:
What kind of printer?

General advice is to never put laser printers on a UPS - the printer's start up
current (inrush) is too large for the UPS circuitry.

Eric

Paul L. Snyder wrote:

Just tripped the circuit breaker...the second time this summer that the
combined load of the printer and the A/C have pushed it over the edge.

While I do intend to have an electrician in to rewire at some point, it
would be really neat if, meanwhile, I didn't lose my work when I'm
simultaneously in need of coolness, and in need of hard copies, and
absent-minded.

Any suggestions for a where to start when shopping for a UPS?

Thanks,
Paul