Isaac Bennetch on 9 Jun 2009 04:15:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [Slightly OT] UPS recommendations

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Paul L. Snyder<plsnyder@drexel.edu> wrote:

> While I do intend to have an electrician in to rewire at some point, it
> would be really neat if, meanwhile, I didn't lose my work when I'm
> simultaneously in need of coolness, and in need of hard copies, and
> absent-minded.
>
> Any suggestions for a where to start when shopping for a UPS?

I have the APC Back-Ups 550 for that exact purpose (I tend to save
snippets of text in unsaved text documents, which works out about as
well as you can imagine. Or worse). As others have mentioned you
usually can't plug your printer in to the UPS, but I think that's not
really your goal. I got it off newegg for under $100 and keeps my
single PC with LCD monitor running for I think around 15 minutes.

APC also has a suggestion tool (which you have to take with a grain of
salt and of course only suggests APC products, but is still pretty
useful): http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

Good luck
~isaac