JP Vossen on 18 Jun 2009 12:30:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ecryptfs

> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:53:21 -0400
> From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>

[Snipped: installed kubuntu 9.04 with encrypted $HOME, then installed
Ubuntu Studio (64-bit) which can't read encrypted $HOME.]
> Should I just delete the partition and start over? Is there any chance of
> recovering it?

You don't mention which version of Studio, 9.04?  If so I would think it
could do the same encrypted home thing?  Perhaps you can install Kubuntu
9.04 in a VM then list the installed packages to figure out what else
you need to install?

Bottom line: how much effort is the data worth?  Worse case I would
think that nuking Studio and re-installing Kubuntu 9.04 would allow you
to access the encrypted data, though it might take some hacking around.
  You then recover it, blow it all away again and start over.

FWIW I did encrypted whole disk (except /boot) + LVM2 (for snapshots),
which works fine.  I was able to read the encrypted disk elsewhere, via
USB enclosure, while booted from some Ubuntu Live-CD or USB (I forget
which, likely 9.04):

	# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc3 usb_disk
	Enter LUKS passphrase:
	key slot 0 unlocked.
	Command successful.

	# lvscan