Art Alexion on 19 Jun 2009 11:08:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ecryptfs

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:53:21 -0400
> > From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>
>
> [Snipped: installed kubuntu 9.04 with encrypted $HOME, then installed
> Ubuntu Studio (64-bit) which can't read encrypted $HOME.]
> > Should I just delete the partition and start over? Is there any chance of
> > recovering it?
>
> You don't mention which version of Studio, 9.04?  If so I would think it
> could do the same encrypted home thing?  Perhaps you can install Kubuntu
> 9.04 in a VM then list the installed packages to figure out what else
> you need to install?

I installed ecryptfs which is a kubuntu option, but not a studio one
(both are 9.04 by the way).  The exact message I am getting is
# ecryptfs-mount-private
Private is not set up properly!

> Bottom line: how much effort is the data worth?  Worse case I would
> think that nuking Studio and re-installing Kubuntu 9.04 would allow you
> to access the encrypted data, though it might take some hacking around.
>  You then recover it, blow it all away again and start over.

Mostly personal stuff like music, video.  Work stuff is on a file
server share, and smaller personal files are in Dropbox.  I think I
have backups, but I am not sure.

> FWIW I did encrypted whole disk (except /boot) + LVM2 (for snapshots),
> which works fine.  I was able to read the encrypted disk elsewhere, via
> USB enclosure, while booted from some Ubuntu Live-CD or USB (I forget
> which, likely 9.04):
>
>        # cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc3 usb_disk
>        Enter LUKS passphrase:
>        key slot 0 unlocked.
>        Command successful.
>
>        # lvscan
>        # mount /dev/volgroup/lv_root /mnt

When I set up the encrypted file system the first time, I was having
trouble issuing unwrap passphrase command as instructed in order to
create a recovery passphrase.  Then, I forgot it was even encrypted.
So I don't have a passphrase for it as far as I know.

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface