LeRoy on 19 Jun 2009 14:16:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ecryptfs

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>>> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:53:21 -0400
>>> From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>
>> [Snipped: installed kubuntu 9.04 with encrypted $HOME, then installed
>> Ubuntu Studio (64-bit) which can't read encrypted $HOME.]
>>> Should I just delete the partition and start over? Is there any chance of
>>> recovering it?
>> You don't mention which version of Studio, 9.04?  If so I would think it
>> could do the same encrypted home thing?  Perhaps you can install Kubuntu
>> 9.04 in a VM then list the installed packages to figure out what else
>> you need to install?
>
> I installed ecryptfs which is a kubuntu option, but not a studio one
> (both are 9.04 by the way).  The exact message I am getting is
> # ecryptfs-mount-private
> Private is not set up properly!

Isn't encryptfs or any other tool for encrypting partitions a front end
for losetup or cryptsetup (8) for setting up dm-crypt?  Also, you might
want to look at /etc/fstab to see how /home is mounted.
/dev/mapper/sda11_crypt /home   ext3    defaults        0       2

The above example would use cryptsetup
If /dev/loop? is listed then you might be able to usr losetup to mount
the partition.

You might want to read
http://pompone.cs.ucsb.edu/~wei/EncryptFS.pdf

>> Bottom line: how much effort is the data worth?  Worse case I would
>> think that nuking Studio and re-installing Kubuntu 9.04 would allow you
>> to access the encrypted data, though it might take some hacking around.
>>  You then recover it, blow it all away again and start over.
>
> Mostly personal stuff like music, video.  Work stuff is on a file
> server share, and smaller personal files are in Dropbox.  I think I
> have backups, but I am not sure.
>

>> FWIW I did encrypted whole disk (except /boot) + LVM2 (for snapshots),
>> which works fine.  I was able to read the encrypted disk elsewhere, via
>> USB enclosure, while booted from some Ubuntu Live-CD or USB (I forget
>> which, likely 9.04):
>>
>>        # cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc3 usb_disk
>>        Enter LUKS passphrase:
>>        key slot 0 unlocked.
>>        Command successful.
>>
>>        # lvscan
>>        # mount /dev/volgroup/lv_root /mnt
>>

> When I set up the encrypted file system the first time, I was having
> trouble issuing unwrap passphrase command as instructed in order to
> create a recovery passphrase.  Then, I forgot it was even encrypted.
> So I don't have a passphrase for it as far as I know.
>

> --
>
> --
> artAlexion
> sent unsigned from webmail interface

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/