David A. Harding on 24 Jun 2009 17:20:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu 9.04 usb problems after install

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 04:56:49PM -0400, Lee Marzke wrote:
> So I'm guessing USB is broken by a patch. I reverted the kernel
> upgrade that was installed and that didn't help.

If the kernel prints errors even after you revert the kernel, then you
probably have a hardware failure. Check the cords; try replacement cords
if you have them; plug the printer into another computer.

If you still think it's a software problem, try the live CD. Note: if
you dual boot, Windows is a filthy liar. It'll let you print over a bad
link and you won't know there's a problem until leave the printer alone.
When you come back, you'll have 50 pages of gibberish. By nefarious
design, somehow, it'll always be your last fifty pages in the house,
you'll have something due at school or the office early tomorrow
morning, and Staples will be closed for the night.

And when you try telling your professor or your boss that Windows
screwed you, he or she will frown at your story and say, "but I thought
you used Linux?"

Yeah, that's my rant for today,

-Dave
--