Lee Marzke on 26 Jun 2009 20:57:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu 9.04 usb problems after install

The thing is the printer worked,  printed one test page,  then after I
applied updates, all printing quit, lsusb fails to run, and the boot errors
showed up.

This PC is remote so I can't easily debug it from here.

I  dropped the PC in as a Kiosk at Brandywine airport for pilot weather
briefings - but I'm replacing it with another machine in a week or so, which doesn't seem to be having the same problem. Hopefully that will fix it.

The story is that the previous PC for weather lasted about 2 years, and basically
was useless - a few minutes after booting the mouse wouldn't even work.  I'm
surprised it lasted that long,  but maybe it's been inop for a while now.

Luckily the few flight planning applications have all migrated to being web based - so
I no longer have to worry about any Windows apps.

Also the metar and pymetar command line programs allow me to print
one-line summary's of the latest hourly weather for a dozen or so local
stations in a 350 mi radius.

Lee

PS:  I taught flight instruction at Brandywine a few years ago (part time)
so I do know what is required for weather info.  Most "official" weather for
a flight has to come directly from FAA sources ( but there is no restriction on
viewing Internet radar or weather sites as extra information )