Walt Mankowski on 27 Jun 2009 05:25:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu 9.04 usb problems after install

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:30:40AM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Jon Bringhurst<jon@bringhurst.org> wrote:
> > Professors tend to still ask for hard copies because of the "Oh, my
> > word doc corrupted again? Well, I can resend it later today." excuse.
>
> The printed copy is also final as of printing time. If you re-send it
> later today, you have extra time to refine or fix. With the printed
> copy, you can be sure that the assignment was completed was on-time,
> and there's no penalty for failure to complete on time. (yes, you can
> check submission times online, as well)

Also if you've got 30 kids in your class, and they each send you a
10-page PDF, that's 300 pages the prof (or more likely, one of his
TAs) has to print out.  I suppose you could grade them electronically,
but a) 300 pages is a lot to read on a monitor, and b) it's hard to
make notes.  Acrobat lets you attach notes to PDF files, but it's slow
and tedious.  It's much easier to print it out where you can scribble
and circle and draw arrows to your heart's content.

But we're getting a bit off-topic from usb problems... :)

Walt