Art Alexion on 8 Jul 2009 09:56:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dell really gets Linux - at last

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 10:48:34 James Barrett wrote:
> I agree, the oversight is a moot point.  It is hard to imagine anyone
> sharpening their pitchforks and preparing their torches simply because
> of this minute oversight.  It's surprising, is all.

Not surprising.  The issue was the web site.  I just had to order  a bit of
stuff from Dell for the end of our fiscal year.  The premier site is IE only.
Can't use linux to order linux.  Pricing can be bizarre.  The site is not
very intuitive at all.  It does a good job of reflecting the [one hand
doesn't know what the other is doing] nature of a big company.

I read the Dell sponsored, community based Dell desktop Linux list.  Mostly
deals with the Mini 9 and 15, and the Latitude 1420.  Much of the noise on
the list lately involves complaints of Dell backing off support for Linux,
and the Dell/Canonical repos being outdated.

Almost a bad thing for Linux as Windows users see that a reputable company is
supporting Linux and buy one, only to be disappointed with the support, blame
Linux, and go back to Windows.