LeRoy on 9 Jul 2009 09:49:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dell really gets Linux - at last

Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
> Are you saying the Broadcom chips are no good because of lack of
> Linux support, or the hardware is no good?  Mine (on an HP) seems to
> work perfectly on the Windows side of things.   Linux is another
> story, and I mostly stopped trying to get Linux drivers to work for
> it, after learning ndiswrapper.
>
> I've been using my broadcom with ndiswrapper on Linux for years
> reliably.  I have some quirks starting the  wpa_supplicant, but once
> I get it going, it is very stable and I wonder if wpa_supplicant has
> much to do with the hardware anyway.  I think most of the issues I
> have to get it started are related to software.

Last September I bought a HP laptop from failing Circuit City which had
a wireless chip that was not in the default Debian 2.6.* kernel.  I
found the driver included in the 2.7.5 kernel so I just used make-kpkg
to compile a custom kernel just like we did in the beginning.

I have found that none of the major manufacturers really want to support
Linux or the BSD communities.  All of them frequently include hardware
that is not supported by the distributions, but may be a part of the
latest linux kernel source.  One of the advantages of Linux is that you
can compile and configure your kernel to your own liking like disabling
the stupid touchpad mouse that is always getting in the way.

With a custom kernel you do not need to worry about distribution kernel
updates.

> ndiswrapper breaks sometimes as kernels get updated, but if that
> concern were addressed, it would be fine.   Ndiswrapper seems to
> generate lots of controversy in the Linux world.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/