Jonathan E. Magen on 9 Jul 2009 09:40:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Google formally announces Chrome OS, to be based on linux kernel

News-story analysis of the post the launched a thousand news stories - is here:

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2009/07/google-chrome-os-lives-and-is-coming-to-a-netbook-near-you.ars

http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/07/Google-Chrome-OS

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Eric<eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> And Google's post - the post that launched a thousand news stories - is here:
>
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html
>
> Eric
>
> Greg Helledy wrote:
>> Sorry if this has been posted already, I get the digest.
>>
>>> Google will launch its own operating system in the second half of next year, finally launching a direct assault on Microsoft's crown jewel.
>>>
>>> (It has been headed here in all but name for the past two years.  But last night it finally declared war.)
>>>
>>> The OS will initially be targeted to netbooks, then broadened to all PCs.  It will be a combination of a Google Chrome browser and a Linux kernel.  It will be a different project than Android.  It will be designed to be simple and fast.  It will also, presumably, be free.
>>
>> Full blog post here:
>>
>> http://www.businessinsider.com/henry-blodget-google-launching-os-firing-torpedo-into-microsoft-and-apple-hold-2009-7
>>

> --
> #  Eric Lucas
> #
> #                "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
> #                 And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
> #                                        -- John Gillespie Magee Jr

Jonathan E. Magen
267-242-6288
http://www.yonkeltron.com
AIM: SuspectAshkenaz