Eric on 10 Jul 2009 05:53:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Gnome/KDE recommendations for wireless kbd/mouse

Casey Bralla wrote:
> I've got an aging Logitech wireless mouse.  As far as I know, a wireless
> mouse/keyboard should look identical to any other keyboard/mouse, so the
> notion of "Linux compatible" should be a non-sequitor

Ah yes, I was not clear about that... when I said "plays well" I was referring
to the "extra" keys (sometimes referred to as "multi-media" keys) on the
keyboard.  Getting these keys on the S 510 to work with either KDE or Gnome has
always been a hassle they did not work at all for the first couple of years I
had these keyboards.  Every keyboard "hotkeys" package or utility simply ignored
the S 510 or specifically said that it would not work.  Finally, I got them
mostly working in Ubuntu 8.10.

I guess my /real/ question is does anybody have a _favorite_ wireless keyboard &
mouse combination?  If so, please relate what it is and why it's your favorite.

I really like the Logitech S 510 because of it's low profile, light weight, low
cost, and reasonably long battery life.  I dislike it because of the left-right
click feature of the scroll wheel which I accidentally invoke when trying to
"middle" click the mouse.  I tried to "fix" this "feature" on one of my mice by
the judicious use of an exacto knife and small amounts of RTV silicone.  This
MAY explain why the left-click is now an automatic double-click about 10% of the
time :-(  I spilled coffee on one of the keyboards about 18 months ago.  It
cleaned up rather well but some keys did not work for several months.  Then, in
a real surprising turn of events, they all worked just fine but the "u" is now
hyper-sensitive.  I fiund extra uu's in all soruts uof placesu.

I guess I need to stop futzing around trying to customize or fix the keyboards
and mice and just replace them... which is what prompted this post in the first
place :-)

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas