JP Vossen on 22 Jul 2009 13:03:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] New Macbooks

> Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:50:43 -0400
> From: "Brian Vagnoni" <bvagnoni@v-system.net>
> Subject: [PLUG] New Macbooks
>
> So what are folks feelings on the new Macbook and the non-removable battery?
>
> Congratulations to Apple for helping protect the environment. I want to give Steve Jobs a piece of my liver.
>
> Or
>
> Apple is so evil for trying to get another buck out of its users.
>
> I personally feel that laptops typically outlast their batteries, so therefore it feels like another money grab by Apple. Regardless my next laptop will most likely be a Macbook. The multi-os option is just too tempting.

Related:
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/02/18/2227231/MacBooks-Unremovable-Battery-Easy-To-Remove

I wasn't sure I was going to send this, so it's gotten a little old...
I'm also surprised Bhaskar didn't beat me to this. :-)

On the topic of Linux and F/OSS:

I am always surprised to see the number of "F/OSS" folks who use Apple
stuff.  Sure the hardware is gorgeous, but it's priced to match.  I
could live with that, if Apple wasn't so opposed to openness [1].  M$
could learn a thing or two from Apple when it comes to vendor lock-in,
Apple is just so good at it you don't even notice, with the possible
exceptions of the extreme lengths they are going to with e.g., the
iPhone [2].  [3]

And personally, I just don't "get" the Mac interface.  For me, it's not
easier and it doesn't Just Work.  Ubuntu makes sense to me.  Mac just
doesn't.

And I'm really spoiled by the Debian/Ubuntu package repos.  Not only
does a Mac take you back to the bad old days of having to go
individually find, download, install and maintain apps, a lot of time
you have to *pay* for them!!!  This is progress???  Not to me.

Just my $0.02, personally,
JP

____________________
[1]
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/06/23/205244/Apples-Obsession-With-Secrecy-Grows-Stronger
http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/06/21/167239/Licensed-C64-Emulator-Rejected-From-App-Store
http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/06/15/2352200/Apple-Finally-Patches-Java-Vulnerability
http://it.slashdot.org/story/09/05/19/2344239/Mac-OS-X-Users-Vulnerable-To-Major-Java-Flaw
Vast irony:
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/02/21/1318253/Ballmer-Pleads-For-Openness-To-Compete-With-Apple

[2]
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/02/13/1722237/Apple-Claims-That-Jail-Breaking-Is-Illegal
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/09/01/13/036211/iTunes-DRM-Free-Files-Contain-Personal-Info

[3] I'm not saying That Apple isn't doing what's best for it and its
stockholders.  I'm just pointing out that we regularly blast M$ for
this, while Apple gets a free pass.