Randall A Sindlinger on 2 Aug 2009 13:56:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ZFS is not a backup

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 01:56:29PM -0400, Sean Collins wrote:
> Once again we are left to remind others that RAID and other replication
> strategies are to prevent downtime. Nothing more!

Hear, hear!

I think it's also worth mentioning that "snapshots" ala LVM, NetApp, etc,
are also *not* a backup.  They help when accidentally deleting or changing
a file, nothing more.  If your disk, enclosure, appliance, etc. dies,
is consumed by fire, suffers water damage, etc, the data is still GONE.

Separate physically different storage of the data is a backup.  Snapshots
are useful to create a static image of the data to do the copying, but
just aren't sufficient in themselves.

-Randall