Sean Collins on 2 Aug 2009 10:56:52 -0700

[PLUG] ZFS is not a backup

Had a user with an OS X box that was using ZFS to mirror a dataset.
User had a hardware failure (disks were in the same enclosure) that
corrupted the ZFS metadata. He had not archived his data, so once
again we are left to remind others that RAID and other replication
strategies are to prevent downtime. Nothing more!

Not to mention, ZFS support on OS X has become very unofficial over
the past few months. I use ZFS on my OS X laptop but I made an archive
of all my data just in case something catastrophic happened.

Thank You,
Sean Collins