Dan Widyono on 4 Aug 2009 07:43:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] sftp weirdness

> Aug  4 02:06:02 master1 sshd[3590]: error: subsystem: cannot stat
> '/usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server: No such file or directory
>
> This seems odd to me since given this...
>
> ls -l /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 43268 May 14  2008 /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
>
> Yes, the Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server line is in there.

I ask this only because it's so obvious that I've missed it once... are you
doing ls -la on the sftp server or the client?

And now, presenting a preponderance of ponderous points:

Is sftp-server on an NFS mount that is exported root-squash?

Can you md5sum /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server?

Does sshd_config have some weird/non-printable characters in the Subsystem
line (perhaps due to corruption)?

Do you have selinux or some other similar setup enabled?

Are there strange directory symlinks, permissions, or bind mounts in the tree
/usr, /usr/lib, or /usr/lib/openssh?

Good luck, and I can't wait to find out what the problem was!
Dan W.