Eric on 3 Aug 2009 19:30:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] sftp weirdness

sean finney wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 06:46:47PM -0400, Eric wrote:
>
>> In my testing I moved .bashrc to .bashrc-skip and sftp still did not work.
>>

> how about temporarily moving all your startup scripts out of the way:
>
> * .bashrc
> * .bash_profile
> * .profile
> * .login
>
> also, if you've made any system-wide changes in your default startup/login
> files (/etc/{profile,bashrc}), now would be a good time to comment them
> out to see if it changes anything :)
>
> if the previously suggested command (the ssh ... true) didn't produce any
> output, this might be barking up the wrong tree though... but at least it's
> easy to do to find out.
>
> oh, and another wacky idea is you could try changing your user's default
> login shell to something like tcsh (just momentarily) and then trying
> to login to really rule out the possibility that it's your bash/sh startup
> files causing the breakage.
>
> but otherwise you might want to crank up your sshd's syslog settings (see
> SyslogFacility and LogLevel in sshd_config(5)) for error messages, maybe it
> can't launch the sftp subsystem at all for some reason?  also, do you have a
> line something like:
>
> 	Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
>
> in your /etc/sshd_config?
>
> just a few more thoughts anyway...
>
> 	sean

Ah!  A way to turn up logging!  That got me this:

Aug  4 02:06:02 master1 sshd[3590]: error: subsystem: cannot stat
'/usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server: No such file or directory

This seems odd to me since given this...

ls -l /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 43268 May 14  2008 /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

Yes, the Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server line is in there.

Thanks to all for the suggestions/advice.

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas
#