Matt Mossholder on 14 Aug 2009 08:03:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] stick drive that mounts as /dev/sda (or sdb....)

Huh?  Are you referring to reading or writing?  I have never been able to read
from, or write to, an unformatted floppy (with Linux or Windows), though I must
admit it has been years since I touched one.

Partition tables aren't required to access devices. Yes, you need to format, but you don't need to partition. Linux will happily lay a filesystem down on an unpartitioned device, and just as happily mount it. Depending on how the mounting occurs, it may also be able to autodetect the filesystem type and mount it automatically.

     --Matt