LeRoy on 17 Aug 2009 07:41:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Swap on SD

Art Alexion wrote:
> I have been configuring EeePCs without swap to minimize wear on the SSD.  It
> usually only matters with Firefox.
>
> The Eee 1000 comes with a built in SD reader.  I figure that I can direct swap
> there.  If it fails, the cost of an SD card is minimal (4 GB = $14 at Target
> today).
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) does that make sense, or is SDHC too slow for swap?
> 2) I have never added swap after an install.  Is there a way to make it a swap
> partition, or should I put a swap file there?  If the latter, do I need to
> reformat/repartition it for swap file use?  If I am doing that, do I just make
> it a swap partition?
>
> (I guess that's more than 2 questions)

Hi Art,

/sbin/mkswap is your answer

/sbin/swapon to turn on the swap space you just made.

Read the man pages for the details.

/sbin/mkswap can make a swap partition or a file.
This is from the man page for mkswap:

       To  setup a swap file, it is necessary to create that file before
       initializing it with mkswap , e.g. using a command like

              # dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfile bs=1024 count=65536

       Note that a swap file must not contain any holes (so, using cp(1)
       to create the file is not acceptable).

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/