Austin Murphy on 17 Aug 2009 08:28:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Swap on SD

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Art Alexion<arthur@alexion.com> wrote:
> I have been configuring EeePCs without swap to minimize wear on the SSD.

> 1) does [swap on SD card] make sense, or is SDHC too slow for swap?

I can't help but think that swap on SD is a bad idea.  To start with,
storage is slow compared to the rest of the system.  Laptop disks and
SD cards are even slower.   This situation has changed dramatically in
the last 10 years.  The relative speed of disk compared to RAM has
gotten far worse.  Swap used to be a decent price/performance
compromise, but now I find that it causes as many problems as it
solves.  Firefox is already smart about using disk space to store
state and cache.  My experience with old slow, low RAM laptops is that
they work better without swap.

I think you would be far better off to spend the money on a RAM
upgrade and continue without swap.  The 2 GB RAM upgrade for the EEE
PC 1000 is only $30.
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Eee PC 1000

Austin