JP Vossen on 17 Aug 2009 11:39:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommendations for linux-friendly scanner?

> Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:58:05 -0400
> From: Matt Mossholder <matt@mossholder.com>
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>
>> Really?  Official vendor support or unofficial community support?
>>
>> I didn't find any official Linux support from HP when I was looking last
>> fall, that's why I went with Brother.  Prior to that I've been an HP
[...]

> You didn't look too close, then...  HP has been providing Linux
> printer/scanner drivers for Linux for a long, long time.
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
>
> Maybe it was the fact that they actually participate in the community, and
> get all the drivers shipped with the distros that threw you! :D

I was aware of the HPLIP stuff and the fact that it was built-in.  I was
*not* aware that HPLIP was official HP.  I'd have swore that was a
community effort, albeit a large and well organized one.

Huh.  I learn something new every day...

Thanks,
JP