LeRoy on 21 Aug 2009 08:35:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Retrofit IDE with SATA?

Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org
> <mailto:MailList@nerdworld.org>> wrote:
>
>     Tom's Hardware is running a story about how smart it is to upgrade
>     your hard
>     drive.  (Hmm.. sounds like they're pulling the old PC Mag trick of
>     endorsing
>     buying more stuff all the time.. how shocking!)
>

> If you haven't looked at newegg.com <http://newegg.com> lately, the
> prices are more than right. TB SATA drives are cheap and extremely
> efficient these days. You might be able to save some kilowatt cash with
> a relatively cheap upgrade. That's up to you to evaluate.
>

>     Has anybody tried a SATA adapter card to see if you get anything like
>     reasonable performance if your motherboard does not have native SATA
>     ports?
>

> Any time you put more adapters onto a system you make it less efficient.
> And PCI is an adapter. So, again, evaluate your total situation. Do you
> want a performance boost? At what cost? And what truly is the total
> (energy, monetary, life-cycle) cost?

I've had good luck with Silicon Image SATA RAID Controllers.  On one
system I've had a 3114 controller running for years.

> Hope this helps.
>

> --
> Michael D. Bevilacqua
> michael@bevilacqua.us <mailto:michael@bevilacqua.us>

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/