Richard Freeman on 24 Aug 2009 12:58:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] VMWare Workstation Bridged Mode Question

Gordon Dexter wrote:
> Yes, you should be able to do it.  I've seen it done, or at least
> something very similar, so that a bunch of vmware machines were on a
> local subnet.  The instructions should be as simple as "set static IP,
> set to bridged mode".

Note that I believe VMWare really only sets what interface the virtual
machine sees - not its IP address (which is set in the guest OS).  I
believe that way back when I was using workstation vmware I didn't have
any problems with this.  Bridged networking is probably the most typical
configuration since it just makes the virtual PC appear like another
machine on the local network.

I'm not sure you specify which interface the bridged network appears on.
  I believe that is in the vmware configuration and not the virtual
machine configuration (which just lets you pick WHICH already-configured
network you want the machine to see).  I'm just guessing here, but it
wouldn't surprise me if you could set up more than one virtual network
device and put each on a different network (or maybe even on the same
network).