Fred Stluka on 27 Aug 2009 17:25:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to avoid spam blacklists?...

Sean Collins wrote:

> I agree with Douglas regarding using Amazon.
>
> Not to mention, isn't your data non-persistent? If your instance
> crashes all your data goes bye bye unless you're using S3?

Sean,

I persist my data on S3 via EBS (Elastic Block Store), which allows
me to mount a virtual S3 volume in the filesystem of the EC2 virtual
server.  So nothing is lost, even if I terminate my instance (to
stop paying for it over an idle weekend, or something, if I chose)
or if the Amazon server hosting my virtual server crashes.  At ten
cents per GB per month, I'm paying only an extra $3.00/month to
reserve 30GB of storage for this purpose.

The details of how to set it up are also given in my cloud computing
tip series.  See:
    http://bristle.com/Tips/CloudComputing.htm#aws_mount_ebs_volume
    http://bristle.com/Tips/CloudComputing.htm#aws_move_files_to_ebs_volume

--Fred